Here is a list of useful medicines and dressings with a description of their uses. All are quite cheap and worth stocking at home in readiness for minor illnesses.Keep them in a box or cupboard with a lock or store them well out of reach of children!
- Paracetamol Mixture: For relief of pain or fever in young children.
- Sedative Cough Linctus: For dry or painful coughs – but not coughs caused by common colds.
- Menthol Crystals: Add to hot water to make steam inhalations for treating catarrh and dry or painful coughs.
- Vapour Rub: Again, for steam inhalations. Also useful for children with stuffy noses or dry coughs .Rub on the chest and nose.
- Antiseptic Solution: One teaspoon diluted in warm water for cleaning cuts and grazes.
- Antiseptic Cream: For treating septic spots, sores in the nose and grazes.
- Calamine Lotion: For dabbing (not rubbing) on insect bites and stings and sunburn.
- 3″ Wide Crepe Bandage: To keep dressings in place. To support sprained or bruised joints.
- Thermometer: For fevers.
- Tweezers: For removing splinters.
- Plasters: Keep a variety of sizes for applying to minor cuts and abrasions
Remember that your local chemist can give you advice about medicines.